I did a final preparation for the canvas. This was mostly just cutting the cowling pipes flush with the roof. I was tempted to do a light coat of epoxy on the whole roof but decided it was not needed.
Gave the canvas a soaking in the bathtub – hot water and not super saturated. A friend helped get the canvas stapled on. The canvas actually shrunk when it got wet but it was also nice and stretchy. We managed to get it stapled – but it took a lot of stretching, in some areas, just to get the most minimal amount of canvas to come over the edge.
Added lots of (stainless) staples and decided that there was no need to tack or nail it down. The canvas was more damp than wet when done. I would have jumped into painting straight away but it was late in the day with a cool night ahead. I hope to put that important first coat on tomorrow. I also hope those staples hold while that canvas dries out.