Valerie has taken more of an interest in this boat than any other boat we have had. Normally the boat is ‘my thing’. So Valerie has taken on the task of buying plates, glasses, etc. I have been poking around – looking for some of the boats ‘secrets’ and coming up with some maintenance tasks.
I noticed that the starboard bench in the saloon has broken supports. This will be a simple fix. I noticed that the galley counter is not sealed around the edges. I ‘dry fitted’ some preserve jars along the back. I think this is a good location so I will make a simple ‘rack’ that will hold the jars (and not let them rattle) while also sealing the back edge of the counter.
The waste holding tank appears to be in the wall of the mid-ship head. I found a water tank behind the aft steps into the saloon.
The folding counter at the helm (leading into the forward cabin) tends to want to close on its own so I reinstalled the bit of hardware that allows it to be hooked up. I will tighten the hook to prevent this from rattling but I think it will be closed most of the time while underway. I doubt the hook was part of the original build but I can see why someone put it there.
Picked up a new fender – so now have 3 for each side. I also ordered 6 fender lines so all fenders will match with appropriate rope thickness.
The tender had 4 old-school dock lines stored in it. These are for use when at shows and are otherwise stored away. I decided to try them out. They look very nice. I will also store them away (in the boathouse) and use them just for shows.
Added a small anchor and a bailing can to the tender. I have ordered two telescopic poles made for supporting canvas. This will prevent water pooling on the canvas.
Used the vantage point of the ladder to the boathouse mezzanine to take a photo.
I have noticed that the prop-walk on this boat is significant. Merva would get moving a bit before walking. This boat walks as soon as it is put into reverse. I think this is because this boat is much heavier so requires more thrust to move.
Ordered an electric trolling motor (46lb thrust). This can be used on the tender but I will also carry out an experiment in using it as a stern thruster to counter the prop-walk. This could help a lot in backing the boat out of the boathouse (just 6 inches aside as there are small boats in front of the boathouse) and out of the marina (I have to back up until the end of the fingers and then rotate more than 90 degrees or 260 degrees if I have to go with the prop-walk). More on this in the coming weeks – when the motor arrives. I know I will have to ‘hack into it’ so I can control it from the helm (the bluetooth ones will not reliably reach the helm).
In the meantime; I need a ‘second’ on the boat to fend off.